4/15/2008

Market America - Now LinkedIn



Market America Inc. is proud to announce that it now has a LinkedIn profile, at www.linkedin.com/in/MarketAmericaInc

For those who don't know, LinkedIn is a social networking site for companies and professionals. It's basically a professional's version Myspace or Facebook. Below is a chart of quick comparisons between Myspace and LinkedIn profiles.

Myspace LinkedIn
Friends Contacts
About Me Education / Work Experience
Leave Friends Comments Leave Contacts Recommendations


There're many benefits of having a LinkedIn profile. Below is a quick list of what Guy Kawasaki, one of my favorite venture capitalists, has to say about LinkedIn:

  • The average number of LinkedIn connections for people who work at Google is forty-seven.

  • The average number for Harvard Business School grads is fifty-eight, so you could skip the MBA, work at Google, and probably get most of the connections you need. Later, you can hire Harvard MBAs to prepare your income taxes.

  • People with more than twenty connections are thirty-four times more likely to be approached with a job opportunity than people with less than five.

  • All 500 of the Fortune 500 are represented in LinkedIn. In fact, 499 of them are represented by director-level and above employees.

Personally, I love LinkedIn. I keep up with lots of my ex-coworkers, ex-business partners, and industry colleagues through it. While I lived in DC, I've had recruiters representing major companies such as Yellow Pages and CarMax approaching me because they've found me on LinkedIn trying to fill a search marketing position and liked my job experience.

So to all that reads this post: If you currently have a LinkedIn profile, send us an invite. If you don't, create one at linkedin.com and send us an invite. We'd love to be connected to you!

15 comments:

Charlotte Mason said...

to whom do i address the request to in linked in. I tried but not sure if i did it correctly

charlotte and skip mason
charlottemason@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Can we post our web portal addresses?

Jeopardy Janet said...

What is the e-mail address for Market America? I tried to send an invitation, but the e-mail address is needed. Thank you.

David J. Green said...

I just sent you an invite from my LinkedIn profile. Welcome to the network!

David G.

Tony Garner said...

I have a profile on linkedin as well. Feel free to send invites and I will do the same.
My name is Tony Garner.
email is mr.agarner@gmail.com

Paul Z said...

Jeopardy Janet: After viewing our profile, there should be a link that says "Add Market to your network". Please use that link and it should work. If you're having trouble with that, please post the URL of your profile and I'll send you an invite.

Thanks.

Paul Z said...

wpm: Of course you can, we all want you to promote your own portals. :)

Anonymous said...

HI my name is Raj,this comment does not have anything to do with today's blog.
I have a relative who wants to apply for a mortgage using our parter store DIRECT ACCESS LENDING
but I want to know how the IBV works for me and how the points system works for my PC.Does it work simular to the WEB CENTER.
I believe every distributor know two person that is looking for a mortgage or retirement plan.
cskarran@gonowmail.com

Richard said...

Thanks for going the extra miles. But I do want to mention there are some inaccurate information on company profile, for example:
(1)81,000 independent distributors
(2)Market America was founded in 1989
...

Please correct and double check all the information are accurate.

-Richard Bu

Paul Z said...

Richard: I've taken the info from the "About MA" section from our site. I'd understand if it could be a bit outdated as far as number of distributors goes. Could there be multiple interpretations on what "founding year" is?

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! I have been excitedly waiting for this since it was announced in February at Leadership. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Is there or will there be a link to this on the portal soon?

Paul Z said...

rdenise: They talked about linkedin profile in February's leadership convention? And all this time I thought I came up with the idea a week ago. :)

So far, we don't have any plans to add a link to our LinkedIn profile from the portal, but anything can happen if there's enough requests.

Anonymous said...

I already have a linkedin account and when I tried to go to the discussion area it asks for the email at work (MA) - so I used my email that MA has on file for my distributorship but it doesn't let me in - am I missing something

Paul Z said...

Brenda: I don't know much about the Discussion areas. But go to the URL posted on this blog post and shoot us a LinkedIn invite.